Our UK office is in Manchester. We work closely with all of our global operations on finance, human resources, procurement, fundraising, communications, IT. We also have programmes teams based here who work alongside staff in-country to ensure efficient operations on a day-to-day basis.
With a global workforce made up of more than 50 different nationalities, you’ll see that we value diversity with all our staff working together for a fantastic cause.
Our style is open, dynamic and relaxed. Our people are at the heart of our organisation and we know they’re our most important asset.
Living and working in Manchester
Manchester is a great place to work, boasting a number of world class businesses, but it’s also a great place to live.
It was voted the best city to live in the UK in the 2019 Global Liveability Survey. The place we are proud to call home is a thriving, multicultural city, with great transport links, excellent eateries and bars, a number of theatres and museums, two Premier League football teams and beautiful surrounding countryside.
MAG staff benefits
Most of our Manchester staff are appointed on open-ended contracts, offering job security and the chance to develop with us. We offer the following benefits:
- Annual leave entitlement of 25 days per year, rising to 30 days with service.
- Contributory pension scheme, to which MAG pays a matching contribution of up to 5 per cent of annual salary.
- Insurance cover, including death by natural causes insurance and, if you travel overseas, 24 hour accident/medical insurance.
- Flexible working arrangements around our core business hours.
- Childcare voucher scheme.
- Training and development opportunities.
- Cycle-to-work scheme.
- Employee Assistance Programme including access to Employee helplines, formal counselling, Accessible App, Wellbeing portal and Critical Incident Support
- Support from trained Mental Health First Aiders
- We also have a range of discounts with a number of local shops.
Training and development
We recognise that the development of our staff is key to our success. Many of our Manchester staff have worked with us for long periods and have been promoted within MAG.
We encourage staff to continue with their personal development whilst working for us, not just on formal training courses but on a day to day basis. All staff are expected to be in control of their own learning and development.
We embrace different learning styles and encourage our staff to share knowledge. We also regularly run internal training courses on a wide range of subjects, from networking skills to time management.
Our international staff also deliver presentations to Manchester staff when in the office, giving office-based staff an insight into how our work improves the lives of others, and the ups and downs of living and working overseas.
Underpinning all of this is our annual appraisal system, which allows achievements to be recognised and skills to be developed. All staff have clear objectives and the support they need to meet them.
We value commitment from our staff and we work hard to give every employee the opportunity to develop their career at MAG. For example in our Manchester office:
• 35 per cent of our employees have been promoted at least once.
• 65 per cent of our senior managers have been promoted from within MAG.
• MAG is located in Manchester city centre, on Peter Street close to Deansgate and Spinningfields with excellent transport links.
• MAG currently employs over 85 staff in its office in Manchester.
• We currently work in over 25 countries and in total employ around 5,077 staff worldwide. We also have a sister organisation, MAG America, based in Washington DC.
• Organisational turnover is approximately £80 million per annum. Around 97 per cent of this is from institutional donors, with the remainder from our charitable fundraising activities.